Three Words that Motivate, Engage and Influence
Imagine this, your teenage daughter came home late at night and she hasn’t
done her homework yet. So what would you normally do?
Well, as a parent, if you are a parent, you’d get mad at her, yell at her.
She’d run to her room. Close the door, turn on some music and cry, and her
homework wouldn’t get done. You would create a fight and it would be over.
In this episode, I’m going to talk about a book called Magic Words by Tim David,
where he gives you strategies on using certain words, he calls these magic word
because these words can help you communicate better and get things done.
- Communication is the anchor of any kind of human interaction.
If you want others to work with you, you need to build strong connections with them.
- YES is the most important and most powerful word you can use with people.
A survival method we’ve used for however long we’ve been around for is connecting with others,
and when we say yes to each other, it means we are accepting them.
- Say the person’s name when you are asking them to do something or when
you really want to get their attention, this also helps you remember people’s names
- Although this may be culture specific, learn to say “thank you” always whether
that person is working or not. These people are still human.
This makes people feel appreciated, makes them feel good.
- In wanting to establish communication with people, avoid using no and negative words.
- You don’t have to say a lot of words in talking to others. Instead find the
correct words to say in speaking to them.
The waiter was furious when his steak arrived too rare, “Waiter!” He shouted.
“Didn’t you hear me say well done?”
And the waiter said, “I can’t thank you enough, sir. We hardly ever get compliments here.”
NOTE: Some cultures do not “thank you” after being served because it is perceived that
these workers are busy working and do not have time to interact with others.
Magic Words: The Science and Secrets Behind Seven Words That Motivate, Engage, and Influence by Tim David; https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Words-Science-Motivate-Influence/dp/0735205396
About Tim David