Focus on the RIGHT English Goals with the 80/20 Rule
Gain clarity and focus in your life and English with the Pareto Principle,
by doing less and achieving more to get the most out of your life.
Today’s lesson is going to help you simplify your to-do list and
help you achieve your goals in life.
If you have a lot of goals in life, the Pareto Principle will help you focus on
one or two of the most important goals that will bring you the most benefits.
- Whatever goals you may have in life, it’s important to write them down, especially if you have several goals that you want to achieve.
- Writing things down helps you stay focused and take the necessary steps
to achieve your goals.
- If you have several goals, pick 1 or 2 that would make you the happiest and give value in your life.
- Focus on the big and ugly tasks because they are the most important factors. Everything will be smooth sailing when you get past those obstacles.
- Delegate. While it may give you the notion that doing a lot of things is making you busy,
it can actually distract you from achieving your goals. Break down large pieces of the problem by asking giving tasks to someone else.
- Breakdown: to simplify things, to classify things into smaller pieces
- Head on/ head over: to go to a certain place, event, etc.
- Ratio: the quantitative relation between two amounts showing the number
of times one value contains or is contained within the other.
- Input: putting information in your head with the things you have read, listened, or watched.
- Output: the product of a person, machine, or industry
- To delegate: to give somebody else authority
- Get in your way: an obstacle or hindrance
- Should make up: constitute, compose
An employee asks his boss for Thursday off so he and his wife could celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary.
His boss said: “Okay. It’s okay this time but I don’t intend to put up with this every 25 years.
put up with = to deal with, accept.
*It’s funny because his boss said he would accept the employee taking a vacation this time, but he should expect him to accept it the next time it happens, which would be in 25 years
Get FREE Transcripts
DOWNLOAD all seven transcripts to The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People series.